When I was diagnosed with celiac, I went through a period of grieving for carrot cake. The delicious combination of moist carrot flavored cake with cream cheese frosting was easily one of my favorite treats.
It’s taken a lot of searching, but I finally found a recipe that I trust and love, and would like to share it with all of you!
We even used it as the smash-cake at my toddler’s 1 year birthday party, so it is also kid-approved. Enjoy!
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake
3 large eggs
1/2 cup light vegetable oil
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup plain yogurt or coconut yogurt (I always like to use greek yogurt)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon honey or agave (for added moisture)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice, or Apple Pie Spice (or a mix of nutmeg, clove, ginger, allspice)
2 cups Gluten-Free baking mix (I usually use Pamela’s Gluten-Free Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix)**
3/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1 1/2 cups processed or finely grated carrots (about 4 medium carrots)
1/2 cup golden raisins or currants
1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts or pecans
**Note that this recipe has no added leavening because it uses a leavened baking mix.
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9-inch Springform cake pan.
2. In a mixing bowl beat the eggs; add the oil and beat; add the brown sugar and beat till smooth. Beat in the yogurt, vanilla, honey, cinnamon and spice.
3. Add in the baking mix and beat till combined. The batter should be a bit thicker than wheat flour batter.
4. Add in the coconut, carrots, raisins and nuts; stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
5. Spread the batter evenly in the cake pan; and place the pan in the center of a preheated oven. Bake until the cake is firm, and a wooden pick inserted into the center emerges clean, about 40 to 45 minutes or longer if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
6. Frost with cream cheese icing and sprinkle with coconut, if desired.
Cream Cheese Icing
4 oz. softened cream cheese
2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract, to taste
3 cups powdered cane sugar- or more, if needed
A squeeze or two of fresh citrus, to taste- lemon, lime or orange
1. In a mixing bowl beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the vanilla.
2. Add in the powdered sugar a cup at a time; squeeze a little lemon or other citrus juice into the frosting and beat till smooth.
3. Taste test. Add more sugar, if needed, to thicken; add more juice to thin.
4. Frost the cake.
This recipe makes one nine inch cake, and first appeared on gluten-free goddess.