With the big game coming up tomorrow, let’s be frank. While watching football is everyone’s favorite pastime and going to parties is fun and all, what we all really like to do on Super Bowl Sunday is stuff our faces until it’s hard to move.
We thought you’d appreciate some last minute recipes that can be useful whether you’re hosting people for the game, or need something to bring with you to someone else’s party.
7-Layer Gluten-Free Taco Dip
In my family, Super Bowl Sunday and 7-Layer dip go hand in hand. It’s the perfect gluten-free party dish, as the majority of the ingredients are fresh and it doesn’t require searching for special gluten-free items (except for taco seasoning – more on that below). It’s also easy and quick to prepare, simple to transport and a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Plus, what’s a Super Bowl party without some tortilla chips and taco dip?
A quick word on taco seasoning: as always, be diligent about checking ingredients because taco seasoning, as with lots of mixed spices, can have hidden gluten or cross-contamination issues. McCormick, Old El Paso, Ortega, Penzeys, Bearitos, Trader Joe’s and Simply Organic all make their taco seasonings gluten-free. You can always whip up your own by mixing 1 Tbs chili powder 1 ½ tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, ½ tsp paprika, and ¼ tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes and dried oregano.
- 1 can gluten-free refried beans
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 package gluten-free taco seasoning
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 1 Cup diced black olives
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans frozen guacamole (I prefer using fresh guacamole)
- Chopped up chilies or green onions
- Spread beans in pizza pan
- Mix sour cream with taco seasoning and spread on the beans
- Spread on guacamole
- Sprinkle tomatoes, olives, then cheese. Top off with layer of chiles or sprinkle of green onion.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
Serve with your favorite gluten-free tortilla chip and dig in!
Not only is this recipe super easy, you can also alter it and spice it up in lots of different ways: add ground beef to make it 8-layers, substitute the diced tomatoes with salsa, the possibilities are endless!
Chex Gluten-Free Spicy Snack Mix
This snack is super easy to make, goes great with your favorite gluten-free beer and, well, who doesn’t love Chex mix? Now that Chex has gluten-free options, this is a Super Bowl party must!
- 3 cups gluten-free Corn Chex
- 3 cups gluten-free Rice Chex
- 3 cups gluten-free cornflakes
- 1 cup peanuts or mixed nuts
- 1 cup gluten-free pretzels
- 1 cup gluten-free onion crackers broken into bite sized pieces
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 1½ tsp seasoning salt
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- Combine Chex, pretzels, crackers and nuts in an ungreased 13×9 pan
- Melt butter in the microwave
- Add spices, mix well
- Pour butter mixture into pan and mix to coat
- Add cornflakes and mix to coat
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes
- Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container. Enjoy!
We hope this guide will allow you to have a more grub-filled Super Bowl experience.
Enjoy the game!
Giliah Librach is a regular contributor to the CeliAct Blog. You can find Giliah on Google+.
Leave a comment