Thanksgiving just ended, and for many of you, that means one thing: It’s time to start thinking about Christmas.
Of all the temptations for gluten-free folks around the holidays, the ubiquitous Christmas cookie is one of the hardest to resist. In the breakroom, at holiday parties, in bakeries, in mom’s kitchen… A beautiful array of gluten-laden cookies glistens with colored sugar and lends a buttery, sugary smell to the air! Everyone seems to have memories of favorite cookies baked by their families around Christmas-time, or of decorating cookies with icing and other decorations.
For those of us who can no longer partake, it can be hard to miss out on all these delicious (and now dangerous for our bodies) sweet treats and the social occasions built around them, such as holiday cookie swaps. But being gluten-free doesn’t need to mean that Christmas cookies are a thing of the past!
This list of ten recipes will give you plenty of Christmas confections to bake and share with your family, friends, and co-workers. And if you’re not someone who likes to bake, or you don’t have time, we’ve also included five delicious brands of ready-made gluten-free cookies you can purchase at a store near you. Looking for Hanukah cookies? We’ve got you covered too…
Top 10 Gluten-Free Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Gluten-Free Lemon Sugar Cutout Cookies from About.com
- Flourless Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookies from Elana’s Pantry
- Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cookies from Saveur Magazine
- Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies from Serious Eats
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Snowballs from The Mommy Bowl
- Gluten-Free Pistachio Cranberry Biscotti from Simply Sugar & Gluten Free
- Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies from Saveur Magazine
- Gluten-Free Cream Cheese Meltaways from Ginger Lemon Girl
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Kisses from Wheat-Free Meat-Free
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Crinkles by Hey, That Tastes Good
No time to bake? Try ready-made gluten-free cookies available at many mainstream grocery stores or online.
5 Brands of Gluten-Free Cookies to Bring To a Christmas Party
- Lucy’s Holiday Sugars & Cinnamon Thins – These vegan, nut-free, gluten-free cookies are amazingly crisp, like all of Lucy’s gluten-free cookies. There are two special flavors that are especially perfect for the holidays. The Holiday Sugars are sugar cookies dusted with sparkling blue sugar, and the Cinnamon Thins have the perfect amount of cinnamon and just beg to be shared at a holiday party.
- Enjoy Life’s Soft-Baked Snickerdoodle – These gluten-free soft snickerdoodles are soft, chewy, and delicious. They are perfect for people with multiple food allergies, as they are free of gluten, wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, fish, and shellfish! Naturally sweetened and full of flavor.
- Pamela’s Gluten-Free Pecan Shortbread – Divinely buttery and loaded with nutty pecan flavor. Made with real butter. Your friends won’t believe it’s gluten-free!
- FreeFrom Sunstart Raspberry Golden Crunch Cookies – Gluten, wheat, egg, and dairy-free cookies that taste a lot like shortbread without containing any butter at all! These are fantastic imported cookies that are becoming easier to find in specialty stores.
- Mi-Del Gluten-Free Ginger Snaps – Crisp, gingery cookies that are big on flavor and fantastic for dunking in milk.
Looking for Gluten-Free Cookies for Hanukah?
Kyotofu’s gluten-free bakery has an amazing Hanukah gift basket that you can order from their website. This delectable gift basket includes gluten-free Star-of-David Genmai Shortbread cookies in Genmai toasted brown rice flavor (16 pieces)!